Please be aware that we are mandated to hold at least 4 lockdown drills and 8 evacuation drills during the school year. Our students and staff have been practicing and will continue to practice the procedures for all drills.
The safety of our students is of paramount importance to us; therefore, we have put the following in place to help you safely find your child(ren) in case of an emergency.
Some emergencies require the school to conduct an in-house evacuation (we stay in school in specific areas of the building) and other emergencies may require that we leave the school and go offsite (we go to another school):
- Safety Plan that is reviewed, updated, and certified by the Department of Education and the New York City Police Department.
- The Safety Committee and the Building Response Team meet regularly to review and update all emergency plans/protocols.
- In every incident, school administrators will first call 911. Then they will look at the unique situation and decide whether to lock down (soft or hard), shelter-in, or evacuate in house or off-site.
- Families are encouraged to register with Notify NYC to receive information about emergency events, and call 311 for additional information about a school during an emergency.
- In the event of an emergency happening outside of the school, we will institute a "lock down" procedure. To reach the school in such an emergency, you can call 718-584-4203; however, if there is a lockdown or an evacuation, please do not come to the school unless you are informed to do so.
- In case of an In-House Evacuation (evacuation inside the school) you should follow this if informed to come to the school:
- Grades PK, K and 1 in the Cafeteria (enter through 195th schoolyard)
- Grades 2/3 in the gym (enter through Decatur and the entrance to the gym)
- Grades 4/5 in the auditorium (enter through Webster)
- If we have to evacuate our building for safety reasons and go to another site the the school will send a notification to parents via our app and text messages – please make sure that your contact is up-to-date. Below are the site(s) we may have to evacuate to in order of options:
2760 Briggs Avenue
Bronx, NY 10458
3050 Webster Avenue
3010 Briggs Avenue
Bronx, NY 10458
In the event of an emergency, please help us keep our students safe by following rules and regulations:
- Maintain your child’s emergency contact always updated (i.e. NO child will be released to anyone without written consent from parents or to any individual who is NOT in the emergency contact sheet or blue card at the school.
- Please do not try to take your child off the line if we are walking towards an off-site area or another school.
- Please wait until we get to the site to properly pick up your child(ren).
- Listen carefully for instruction from the school personnel or other authorities once at the site.
- Maintain order at all times as you report to the assigned place/school and follow procedures as your kids may have been separated because of their grade levels.
- Most importantly, please keep calm once you are at the site and complete the “Student Release Form.”
Please know that the safety of our students is always our main concern and the Department of Education has established a comprehensive program to be followed by all schools in the event of an emergency.
NOTE: Please be aware that things may change in case of an emergencies so always be alert and pay attention to announcements from the school or DOE.
***Please always bring your identification card (ID) with you. Let those who are picking up your child(ren) that without an ID, the child(ren) will not be released to them